Curriculum at Cotmanhay Infant and Nursery School
Our whole curriculum, policies and practise throughout school is driven by our motto, mission statement and vision; alongside our commitment to the British Values.
We have long term plans in place and are developing 2yrs-7yrs skills progressions grids to enable children to:
- Build on learning and skills during their time with us
- Provide inclusive learning with real context and experiences, deeper understanding to excite and motivate
- Understand the world around them, locally and more widely
- Prepare for their next stage in education
- Planning is completed weekly and half-termly in year group teams using knowledge of children, expectations, skills progression and wider opportunities.
- We have short-term, medium-term and long term plans to ensure sequence and building on knowledge and skills.
- We have a 'Creative Curriculum' which is mostly topic-based learning using over-arching questions with an open ended structure.
- Topics are based on children's interests to inspire and on experiences they may not have, to enrich.
- We have good quality resources.
- We ensure ongoing assessment of children's learning.
- There is a balance of adult-led and child-led learning.
- We use trips/visitors and other opportunities to enhance the learning experience.
- A topic newsletter is sent home for parents/carers so children can be supported at home. This includes specific vocabulary with definitions. The class pages on the website also offer further learning opportunities at home.
We measure the impact of our curriculum through:
- Progress made from starting points
- Conversations with children that demonstrate they know, can do and remember more than they did before
- Monitoring the work children do and their response to the learning
- Monitoring the impact on children's health and well-being
- Recording aspirations and supporting them through school ethos and the PSED/PSHE scheme
But what skills are they learning?
Please click here for our skills overview for each area of the curriculum.
Autumn term 1 Autumn term 2 Spring term 3 Spring term 4
We also hold parent meetings in school for parents or carers to find out more about the curriculum in our school which unfortunately this academic year so far has been unable to happen due to Covid-19 restrictions but we are hoping to offer these again in the summer terms.
We always keep abreast of any new initiatives but for the most recent parents talk notes please see the link below.
Click below to find out more about the areas of the curriculum